Call us to set up an appointment! 615-893-1254

The Role of Insurance Coverage in the Murfreesboro Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article titled Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to start an article! It continues:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone annually
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries annually
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US over $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it’s no wonder that insurers seek another way to cut costs, especially when one-third of the money goes to hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Most Chiropractic Clinic is well-equipped and knowledgeable in offering non-hospital-based care to help Murfreesboro back pain – chronic and acute – patients find relief of and manage their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the leading cause of years lived with disability globally. Today, guidelines for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems are apt to struggle with these novel approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These thoughts are presented in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Most Chiropractic Clinic reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

Considering these facts, it’s not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will pick back surgery over non-surgical management of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers chose to visit a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor initially based on their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Amending these things to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type could encourage low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment rather than back surgery. (4) Most Chiropractic Clinic is all for this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers require back surgery. (5) Most Chiropractic Clinic is ready to assist the other 99% of the Murfreesboro back pain sufferers manage their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to be with the spine they have and deal with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

Murfreesboro back pain sufferers are not alone if their back pain comes back. It happens. It is controllable. It is manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients experienced another episode of back pain of some sort. Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences spark the risk of back pain recurrence. (6) It’s ok though. Really! Most Chiropractic Clinic helps Murfreesboro back pain patients navigate these recurrences and deal with them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT Most Chiropractic Clinic

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson share how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you’re pregnant or not, Murfreesboro chiropractic care at Most Chiropractic Clinic can help you deal with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a Murfreesboro chiropractic appointment at Most Chiropractic Clinic for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic look for 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often gets 70%, 80%, 90% and more for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

Most Chiropractic Clinic realizes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."